coreutils-8.26: a one-line patch

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: coreutils-8.26: a one-line patch
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 18:28:03 -0700

I had done builds of coreutils-8.26 in early December, but did not get
around to looking at build logs until today.  I now have 166 builds on
138 systems in our lab, of which 81 passed all tests, and 37 passed
enough test to be acceptable, so the new version is now installed on
most of the machines in my test lab.

However, I found a show-stopper source code error here:

        % sed -n -e 169p src/copy.c
        #if HAVE_FALLOCATE

That is wrong.  It needs to be

        #if defined(HAVE_FALLOCATE)

The reason is that on Red Hat 5 and CentOS 5 systems, lib/config.h
gets the setting

        /* #undef HAVE_FALLOCATE */

so HAVE_FALLOCATE is undefined, and expands to an empty string,
producing the erroneous preprocessor statement "#if", with no
expression.

In two build attempts on Mint 18.1, the tests hung just after the
output line

        PASS: test-sched

A "ps auxww" command showed that the next test is "test-select", and
that was sitting quietly, consuming no CPU time, but blocking
continuation of the build.

On a third build on Mint 18.1, the test-select test completed normally
(and quickly), and all tests passed (as they did one the first try on
Mint 17 and 18.0).

It looks like test-select may have some subtle timing and/or O/S
dependence, but it gave no problems on any other platform, so perhaps
it isn't worth worrying about.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden  address@hidden -