Re: Feature request: ls --hyperlink

From: Egmont Koblinger
Subject: Re: Feature request: ls --hyperlink
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 23:13:51 +0200

Hi,

Thanks a lot! I'll take a closer look when I return from my vacation. A few
comments below:

I used more stringent escaping as per rfc3986

Indeed I was way too sloppy here (and elsewhere too), my patch was clearly
proof-of-concept quality :) Obviously '?' and '#' need to be escaped so
that the browser doesn't terminate the URL there, and '%' because the
escape character always needs to be escaped.

(I had no idea what browsers did on a '?' character in a "file:" URL, since
in http that character is special for the server only, not for the browser
as far as I know. But at least Firefox strips the rest.)

I was tempted to add --hyperlink to realpath, though I'm not sure it's
> needed.
>
> I was tempted to add a --hyperlink=raw option to output just the file://...

For both: I share your doubts. IMO these would be more for feature
completeness rather than actual usable features. Maybe stat(1) could be a
more useful target. But perhaps we should first see how the "ls" feature
goes, and wait until someone requests these :)

cheers,
egmont