Re: Multibyte support for sort, uniq, join, tr, cut, paste, expand, unex

From: Eric Fischer
Subject: Re: Multibyte support for sort, uniq, join, tr, cut, paste, expand, unexpand, fmt, fold, and pr
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 17:22:42 -0800

OK, that seems reasonable, since as far as I know, no one implements the
POSIX notation for constructing multibyte characters out of adjacent octal
escapes anyway, and the standard has already backed off from supporting
them in ranges. I'll have to change mine to leave characters decomposed
until after byte mapping.

What do you do when a mapping has a byte on one side corresponding to a
wide character on the other? Reject the pattern?

Eric