Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?

From: Kaz Kylheku (Coreutils)
Subject: Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 10:45:51 -0800

On 2018-02-05 07:18, Андрей Кинзлер wrote:
Hi,

After upgrading my distro, I was quite surprised when I saw some of my
files wrapped with single quotes. Why adding such a useless feature of
an unnecessary garbage to the terminal output? Were you inspired by
Microsoft when fixing something that wasn't broken and now the files
are totally misaligned when you type 'ls'?

+1

There is no need for this pointless garbage. Unix has gotten along
without quoting the output of ls for 43 years now.

Programs which parse the output of "ls" are broken.

They are also anachronistic; fixing the output of "ls" amounts
to a solution that someone needs in 1987, not in 2018.

Any halfway decent scripting language nowadays gives you some access
to readdir; if not via its library than FFI. Plus utils for globbing,
walking the file system and so on.

Never mind halfway decent scripting language; even in POSIX shell
scripts, there is no need to read the output of ls.