Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?

From: Michael
Subject: Re: ls is broken, what's next cd?
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2018 10:30:40 +0100

On 06/02/2018 08:13, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 02/06/2018 12:41 AM, Michael Felt wrote:
imho, the main problem is you change the default behavior, and 43 years
of programs are broken.

no, as explained it does not affect programs and scripts, because this
only changes the output to the terminal.

Yes, I thought about that too. So, maybe I would have liked the choice to be able to have them quoted IF and/or WHEN I needed to cut/paste names. But now I must either not install coreutils (as I have that option) or always remember to add three characters (' -N') everytime I want normal ls output.

Normally, I just want to see my files in a directory. And on my servers the names are not 'dirty'.

So, as an optional feature - could be great. But as a default - a reason to not install coreutils - or at least not 'first' in my PATH. Certainly going to be a warning when I package the version with this 'feature'.

[...] it's a feature, not a bug.

My other description: "Working as designed, design is broken"
indeed. ;-)

Have a nice day,
:) Likewise. (p.s. thanks for your work. Is appreciated. Just do not always agree with some of the decisions made. I think that is called "being alive!")
Berny