FAQ rm backup section outdated

From: Garreau, Alexandre
Subject: FAQ rm backup section outdated
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 23:25:07 +0100

Recently I saw a mail on bug-gzip list pointing there [0].

Yet that FAQ section seems to be somewhat outdated: at some point it
suggests recover is packaged and right away installable under Debian
while it’s not packaged anymore since Wheezy [1] (currently
oldoldstable), moreover it seems its webpage [2], that is the second
reference of the section, is a dead link.

The third [3], too, except I couldn't find it neither in my system at
the aforementioned path [4], without forgetting to note that it suggests
reading it with less, while with it being gzipped it should be read with
zless. I managed with apt-file to find its translations are still
packaged in the packages doc-linux-fr-text and doc-linux-pl, but
couldn't manage to find their original version, which is sad since from
what I read in the french version, it seems to be really well written
and maybe even quite useful for other filesystems than ext2.

The fivth [5] is dead too, while since then it seems to have been
packaged for Debian, even Wheezy nodaways, through backports, and at
least it notices it through a english sentence I personnally can't parse
correctly near the end: “This is also packaged for some software
distributions such as Debian probably others too.” (“This is also
packaged for some software distributions such as Debian *and* probably
others too.” appears less confusing to me).

The last [6] is also dead, probably due to the move of Gentoo wiki to a
subdomain of its [7], yet seemingly without the page in question [8].

Everything of this appears quite frustrating to me, as I always only
knew testdisk and photorec (which I often heard cited yet I didn't see
mentioned there), and seeing this link I hoped to easily find some
simpler (cli instead of tui for instance) or easier (higher-level)
utility.

[0]
<https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/coreutils-faq.html#I-used-rm-to-remove-a-file_002e-How-can-I-get-it-back-now_003f>

[1]
<https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=recover>

[2] <http://recover.sourceforge.net/linux/recover/>

[3] Linux Ext2fs Undeletion mini-HOWTO
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.html>

[4] <file:///usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.gz>

[5] <http://developer.berlios.de/projects/ext4magic>

[6] <http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Move_Files_to_a_Trash>

[7] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/>

[8]