crossplex-dev

[Crossplex-dev] Announcing Crossplex-0.11.1

From: David Wuertele
Subject: [Crossplex-dev] Announcing Crossplex-0.11.1
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:37:18 -0700

Announcing Crossplex-0.11.1, now with uClibc support!  Download here:
http://crossplex.org/content/crossplex-0111

The Crossplex library of make macros for developing embedded Linux
systems allows you to easily specify toolchains.  Now the toolchain
choices include both glibc and uClibc.

You can specify as many toolchains in your makefile as you like.  They
may have multiple versions of binutils, gcc, glibc or uClibc, and gdb.
 They may have multiple configurations in terms of CPU arch, hard/soft
float, or threads implementation.  You can easily create target
systems based on these toolchains, and in fact you could create two of
the exact same target configurations, where one uses glibc and one
uses uClibc.  This can be helpful in diagnosing problem behavior
suspected to result from the toolchain or the runtime C libraries.

With Crossplex, you specify a toolchain in your Makefile by including
the Crossplex library of macros, then calling $(eval) on a macro for
that toolchain.  For example:

# declare rules for a mipsel uclibc toolchain called "my-uclibc-tc"
$(eval $(call Uclibc_Toolchain,/path/to/build,my-uclibc-tc,\
                  mipsel-crossplex-linux-uclibc,binutils-2.19.1 \
                  gcc-4.3.2 uClibc-0.9.30.1 linux-2.6.31.12 gdb-6.8))

# declare rules for an x86 uclibc toolchain called "my-glibc-tc"
$(eval $(call Glibc_Toolchain,/path/to/build,my-glibc-tc, \
                  i686-crossplex-linux-gnu,binutils-2.20 \
                  gcc-4.2.0 glibc-2.5 linux-2.6.28.7 gdb-6.8, \
                  THREAD=nptl ENDIAN=l MMU=y FLOAT=hard))

After calling these macros, you can then specify target filesystems
that are associated with these toolchains, and you can specify
software (third-party or in-house) to be compiled for those target
filesystems, all using a similar style of macro evaluation.

Enjoy,
Dave