dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0-pre1 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0-pre1 posted
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:24:19 +0200

Hi,

I have just posted 2.0.0-pre1 of Dazuko. What is version 2.0 you ask? Well, the 1.3.x branch was starting to heavily deviate from 1.2.x. Not only were major new conceptual changes taking place, but API prototypes and structure names have changed. Although the API changes are quite minor (all of them will be caught with the compiler), it was enough to acknowledge this new version as a major change.

The abstraction layer (XP layer) is running very solid and the FreeBSD extension has been completed. It now also supports local filenames, SMP, and chroot. I have been experiencing a minor issue in FreeBSD because await() returns ERESTART from time to time. I am not sure how I am supposed to handle it (not documented). For the moment I treat it as EINTR, but I do notice some things do not work correctly in this situation.

Also new in this version is a read-only registration mode. This allows an application to receive incoming access events, but not be required to answer. The kernel posts events, but does not wait for an answer. This should improve performance for applications that are only interested in collecting information (specialized loggers).

Also new in this version is a new device protocol. Rather than using a pure binary protocol, Dazuko now uses a text-based key/value protocol. Unknown keys are simply ignored. This makes it possible to add new keys in the future without any worry of older versions complaining.

The new Dazuko Interface has a compatibility mode for older Dazuko kernel modules. If the new key/value registration does not work, the Interface switches to compatibility mode and tries the old 1.x method.

Likewise the 2.0.0 kernel module can still speak the old binary protocol of the 1.x series. This should make it much easier for people and organizations to migrate over to the 2.0.x branch.

Lastly, I am happy to say that a wonderful "configure" script is now included. Whether I am on my FreeBSD machine or my Debian machine, getting Dazuko running is as simple as:

./configure
make

But there is still a long ways to go. I have started getting a great deal of requests from many many organizations. Many of the changes I made for 2.0.0 were to add enough abstraction that I could easily implement all these requests in the future.

After the Virus Bulletin Conference (in 3 days!) I will begin work on cleaning up and testing the 2.0.0-pre1 version. I would like to get it officially released soon.

I know there have been a lot of changes lately and it has caused a bit of confusion for some contributors. However, soon we will be over this transition period and can focus on adding robustness, features, and begin massive expansion onto other platforms.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer