dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] 2.1.0-pre1 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] 2.1.0-pre1 posted
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 00:05:35 +0200

Hi,

A very early pre-release of 2.1.0 has been posted. There have been quite a few internal changes, which is why I wanted to get it posted as early as possible. There is a new abstraction layer (dazukoio_xp) in userspace. Until now this wasn't needed because the userspace implementation works for all supported platforms. This is because all supported platforms are UNIX-like. If Dazuko is to be ported to non-UNIX-like platforms, then an abstraction layer is also required in userspace. With the increased interest in the port to Windows, I felt that now would be a good time to introduce this abstraction.

In another effort to help porters, a dummy extension (with example) is provided in the package. The dazuko_dummy.* files show a very basic implementation for the kernelspace part and the dazukoio_dummy.* files show a very basic implementation for the userspace part. This should help to show developers exactly what needs to be implemented when porting Dazuko to new platforms.

To allow the dummy extension to work on any platform, the dummy extension runs completely in userspace.

$ cd example_dummy
$ make
$ ./example

This starts a program that acts as the kernel and starts a thread which acts like the userspace daemon. By typing in commands, you can generate access events. For example:

open /tmp/test.txt

would generate an ON_OPEN event for the file /tmp/test.txt in the "fake kernel". This program uses the real Dazuko kernel and userspace code, so you get a true Dazuko experience. Being able to run in a completely new way helps to show just how abstract the XP layers are.

Since the dummy extension is written using only cross-platform C functions (just as the dazuko_xp and new dazukoio_xp layers), this dummy module should compile on all systems (including Windows, DOS, etc). The only issue is starting the daemon thread, but that can be easily corrected for other systems.

The dummy example program has already been tested to work on FreeBSD, GNU/Linux, MacOS X, and Solaris. As soon as I find someone with a Windows machine, I will be testing it there as well.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer