dazuko-devel

[Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.0.0-rc2 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] DazukoFS 3.0.0-rc2 posted
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 22:22:03 +0200

Hi,

I have posted the next release candidate for DazukoFS 3.0.0. One major
bug and several minor bugs were discovered in the process management
code. These have been fixed. If you encounter _any_ warnings or
errors, please report them to this list. Even if you can't provide (or
don't have time for) a detailed report, it is still helpful for me to
know if problems exist.

3.0.0-rc2 also provides a new feature: ignoring processes. A device
"/dev/dazukofs.ign" exists. Any application that opens this device
will be hidden from DazukoFS and can perform whatever file operations
it wants. As soon the device is closed, the application is no longer
hidden. Only the application (or thread) that opens the device is
hidden.

This feature is off by default, but can be enabled by modifying the
Makefile.

EXTRA_CFLAGS += -DCONFIG_DAZUKOFS_IGNORE

By setting the permission on this device, you can control which user
processes are allowed to make themselves hidden.

I chose to add this feature (after much debate) because many
Dazuko-based applications need some sort of "freedom" to work
undetected at times. This would also be necessary for any anti-virus
software that uses a scanning daemon separate from the registered
processes (as ClamAV would like to do).

Also, this feature makes it possible to write a userspace
wrapper-library that provides the old Dazuko interface, but actually
uses DazukoFS. Although this was not main reason I chose to add this
feature, it did play a role in helping me make the decision.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer