dazuko-help

RE: [Dazuko-help] Dazuko 2.3.4 and FreeBSD 6.2

From: Mark W. de Raad
Subject: RE: [Dazuko-help] Dazuko 2.3.4 and FreeBSD 6.2
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:04:40 +1030

Hello John,

Thank you kindly for your response. We will try the versions below and
let you know when the issue started and version (it may take us a few
days).

Also thanks for the information about the CLOSE_MODIFIED.

If you (or another reader) have time for a question, our purpose is:

> Monitor a directory of files
> Notice any file changes within that directory
> Initialise a replication process (separate program)

We were hoping to use CLOSE_MODIFIED to only trap the files that have
changed (apart from simply being accessed).

Regarding the move of CLOSE_MODIFIED to the userland, would you
recommend storing the file information in a database? DB2? Mysql?

I presume trigger a process whenever a CLOSE event is trapped (we do not
always seem to get OPEN events for some reason, particularly when data
is appended to a file)

We would also need to generate a checksum I presume - would you
recommend CRC or MD5? (speed is a factor of course).

I am not asking you to solve the problem for us of course! But I am
curious if you have any pointers to how we might implement
CLOSE_MODIFIED type technology in the userspace, rather than us
inventing completely our own systems.

Thanks again.

Mark
---
Mark de Raad
Systems
I-Nex Corporation Pty Ltd

-> Level 1, 88 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia
-> GPO Box I-Nex, Adelaide, SA, 5001, Australia
-> Phone: (08) 8236 7456
-> Fax: (08) 8236 7444