dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] inotify vs dazuko ?

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] inotify vs dazuko ?
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 11:46:02 +0100

On 2008-02-08, Peter Boughton <address@hidden> wrote:
> Would the file access control mean that I can prevent requests
> tripping over the same file? For example, if multiple write requests
> come in close succession, I'd want to make them wait their turn
> (presumably by locking the file temporarily) while my script runs,
> rather than potentially having a file change three times then my
> script simply looking at the final version three times. (ie: I'd
> like to enforce ordered queueing of requests).

Yes, with Dazuko you could implement something like this. When a
process attempts to open a file, the registered Dazuko application is
notified _before_ the open takes place. If you only have one
registered application, "ordered queueing" is automatic. (A registered
application is not notified about the next event until the first event
has been handled.) If you have multiple registered applications, then
they will need to work together to enfore the queue idea.

> [...] Although I also found mention of a limit of 8192 watches for
> inotify [...] Does Dazuko have any similar limits?

Dazuko does not have any limits of this type because it does not
register to watch individual files. The kernel module receives
information about file access for the entire machine, but only informs
the registered application about the accesses that the registered
application was interested in.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer