dctc-general

Re: [Dctc-general] dctc/dc_gui2 download dont star

From: eric
Subject: Re: [Dctc-general] dctc/dc_gui2 download dont star
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:39:48 +0100

> 1) I see the default port for active is 412. Wouldn't that mean I need
> to run dctc as root to be able to use that port?

yes, all ports below 1024 are only for privileged users.

> 2) If I use port 1024 and have that port forwarded in my
> iptables-linux-firewall then I _can_ connect with telnet to that port
> from the outside world, so the port seem to work. Downloading in active
> mode work, it is only search that does not work. What can be the problem?

search uses different ports and only UDP ports (no telnet possible to know if
it works). You can force DCTC to use a set of given port (see /GDLASPORT)

> So I may miss seeing the "Trying"-attempts because the gui does not
> refresh more than once every 5th second? (I have been looking quite long
> time and never managed to see a "Trying"-attempt under RedHat 9 so I
> suspect there is no attempt. Under RedHat 8.0 is see the
> "Trying"-attempts all the time.)

If you see a Trying status for a long time, most of the time, this means the
remote client does not reply and DCTC waits 30 seconds before cancelling the
attempt.

> It is a little bit har to explain, maybe I should send you a screendump
> offlist. Maybe it has to do with that RedHat 9 comes with glib/gtk 2.2.1.

yes, mail it to me, not on the list.

Eric