ddd

ddd install - versioning problems

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: ddd install - versioning problems
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:09:02 -0500

This is a resend with more information.

I have a standard Linux RH 6.2 system.

My system is evidently:

1 - too old for ddd-3.2.92-2.i386.rpm

    which complains at install about my older .so files:

        openmotif is needed by ddd-3.2.92-2
        libXaw.so.7   is needed by ddd-3.2.92-2
        libncurses.so.5   is needed by ddd-3.2.92-2
        libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3   is needed by ddd-3.2.92-2
        libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)   is needed by ddd-3.2.92-2

2 - too new for ddd-3.2.91-1.i386.rpm

    which complains and crashes at at run time:

        Warning: This DDD requires a Motif 2.0 library (using Motif 2.1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the suggestion of a previous responder, I tried .91 and tried to find
a Motif 2.0 library.  I:

   found libXm.so.2.0 in lesstif-M20-0.82-1.i386.rpm
   extracted using rpm2cpio and cpio
   changed LD_LIBRARY_PATH to put it in the shared object search path

The error I get now is:

  ddd: error in loading shared libraries: ddd: undefined symbol: xmUseVersion

This symbol is in my Motif 2.1 but not in the 2.0 I extracted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any suggestions.  It seems that ddd 3.2.91 is using some strange
combination of Motif 2.0 and Motif 2.1.

Is there a ddd rpm anywhere which is compiled for a standard RH 6.2,
which is a popular distribution?

Am I better off compiling from source?  Will this adjust ddd for my
version of the X libraries.  Can someone tell me how to do this?

Is there any documentation anywhere on how to install ddd, and which
of the 92 versions work with which operating systems.

I really like ddd for AIX, but installing for Linux is quite a chore.
:-(