ddd

Re: where & what is <xpm.h>?

From: Arnaud Desitter
Subject: Re: where & what is <xpm.h>?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:48:30 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

> I have an older version (3.2?) of DDD that was built and linked
> with Gnu C++, unfortunately we are in the process of switching
> to Sun's C++ compiler (CC: Sun WorkShop 6 2000/08/30 C++ 5.1
> Patch 109490-01, running on SunOS Release 5.6 Version
> Generic_105181-23 [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]) using CDE (1.2).
>
> I can still run DDD, it does some unexpected things, for example,
> instead of starting in the source code for the application, it
> displays the source to another module, it doesn't display data
> (this is probably related to name mangling differences), while the
> application is executing, there is no indication in the source on
> which line is executing (related to not opening the correct file).
> When the guy across the hall uses DDD, it opens the correct source
> file and tracks the currently executing line, he can't display data
> either.

Did you think of using "ddd --dbx" ?

> Deciding the easiest course of action is to recompile DDD, I check
> for a new version.  There is one, it can use dbx (dbx? a Sun
> debugger, it works, but DDD is a much better interface).  Tried
> the default install.  The compile fails when it can't find <xpm.h>
> in Xpm.h.  I don't see it in /usr/openwin tree anywhere (not sure
> where else to look).  Any and all suggestions about how to either
> get 3.2 working with either the Sun C++ compiler or dbx or how to
> get 3.3.1 to compile would be appreciated.  Reading through the
> help gives no clue on how to solve this.  The old gcc compiler is
> still present in case it's needed, but the plan is to use the Sun
> product (the reasons fade from memory, they seemed reasonable,
> both gcc and Sun C++ had pro's and con's).  Any and all assistance
> in solving all problems would be appreciated.

A neat trick on Solaris:

>grep 'xpm.h' /var/sadm/install/contents
/opt/SUNWspro/WS4.0/contrib/xpm/lib/xpm.h f none 0444 bin bin 13152 31292
844860108 SPROvisu
/stand/opt/SUNWspro/WS5.0/contrib/xpm/lib/xpm.h f none 0444 bin bin 13152 31292
911908166 SPROvisu.2

Therefore, if you compile ddd with the Sun compiler, that should work
fine. Otherwise, you need to install xpm in /usr/local.

Cheers,
Arnaud

information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp