ddd

Re: DDD slow on Solaris

From: Arnaud Desitter
Subject: Re: DDD slow on Solaris
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:39:04 +0100

Milan Schulte wrote:

> Dear DDD-Team,
>
> we are using DDD for several years and are very happy with it, thank you.
>
> But we've a problem with DDD (currently 3.2.1) on Solaris 2.6 (versions
> of DDD before 3.2 have had the same problem).
>
> On Linux DDD 3.2.1 (now 3.3) works very fast, but on Solaris e.g. the
> SourceFile-Browser (File-Menu->OpenSource) takes up to a minute until
> it shows the file list, sometimes it is empty after that time.
> The overall performance (DataDisplay, Stepping through code, ...) is very
> poor/slow for large executables/projects.
>
> FYI: We are using no threads; one shared lib gets loaded via dlopen;
> GNU gdb is version 4.17; Compiler is g++ 2.95.2 (19991024)
>
> Are there any known influences on performance of DDD when using Solaris ?
>
> Any hints appreciated

There was a lot of memory leaks in ddd. Some are corrected in the latest
distribution (3.3.x). Most of them are fixed in the CVS respository. The
last ones are plugged with a patch available at
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/ddd/2001-October/001257.html

Once patched, ones get nearly zero leaks under purify.

I would suggest you to get the version from the CVS repository,
possibly applied the patch and see if the situation improves.

Regards,
Arnaud