ddd

Re: ddd 3.3 and SuSE 7.3

From: J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)
Subject: Re: ddd 3.3 and SuSE 7.3
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 12:19:56 +0100

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 11:22:06 +0100, Christian Wenz wrote:
> i am a c-newby and i just installed ddd 3.3 to improve my c.

The current version is 3.3.1 BTW.

> But if i call the debugger settings the message: "gdb terminated
> abnormally (memory allocation error)" appears.

I don't see this problem with DDD 3.3.1 and gdb 5.1.1 on Debian GNU/Linux
"unstable" - possibly the gdb package you are using is broken and an update
is available?

> The second problem, if i load a executable i get the message: "init.c File
> or Directory not found".

This really should be in a FAQ somewhere. Pasting from a message I sent to
bug-ddd:
:> /home/user/.../init.c: No such file or directory
:
:That message is from gdb, rather than DDD. It indicates you are on a system
:whose C runtime library contains symbols to support debugging (i.e. it has
:not been stripped), but you do not have the sources to the C library
:installed. This occurs e.g. on Red Hat Linux. IMHO there is no reason for
:the regular C runtime library to contain debugging symbols and I'm happy
:that the distribution I use (Debian GNU/Linux) does not include them.
:
:> I hope itthis problem can be solved.
:
:It is hardly a problem, more like an annoyance. The proper place to get it
:fixed is your distribution vendor.

HTH,
Ray
--
Outlook Express is free, and also sometimes lets strangers share your hard
disk - is this anarchism?