ddd

gdb-textmode -> kde-ddd migration problem

From: Hans Georg Keller
Subject: gdb-textmode -> kde-ddd migration problem
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:07:37 +0200

From:   Hans Georg Keller / Norderstedt / Germany
Date:   2002-06-17

Hi guys,

Since SuSE 4.4 I programmed my c and c++ stuff
for DOS and LINUX on a linux-box in text-mode.

Now I started to project of a cpu-simulator (Z80
probably  68HC11 too) in text-mode.

In text-mode I use the local file ~/project/hgksim/.gdbinit
and a shellscript named debug to instruct gdb
what and how to do.

debug:
#! /bin/bash
gdb -se hgksim -tty /dev/tty4

.gdbinit:
file hgksim
handle SIGTTOU nostop nopass
.....some breakpoints

On tty4 I start a program named 'infinite' what
does nothing else than

while( 1 ){ sleep( 100 ); }

This way I can debug my program using the
virtual text-console 4  as i/o-device
connected to stdin and stdout of the
debugged program.

Short time ago I tried kdevelop. And I found out
that it is a real quite good development-environment
and stable too.

With using kdevelop I thought to minimize switching
between text-consoles for debugging and KDE for
editing and making.

This way I came to DDD. Especially the way to
display the data stands out and will simplify
and speed up the work. Probably there are much
more features what will event the
working-conditions.

* BUT on DDD I can not find out how to set a           *
* commandline-parameter and I'm not sure wether or not *
* the local .gdbinit is used.                          *

Can anybody help me out, how to configure DDD
to enable virtual text-console 4 as i/o-device
for stdin and stdout

Before I forget this, I'm using now
SuSE 7.0 - LINUX. This upgrade I did not because
of beeing unsatisfied with SuSE 4.4.
I did it to obtain KDE and GUI-Tools for
connecting to internet.

Many thanks for your efforts in advance

with kindly regards

            Hans Georg Keller