ddd

Re: making ddd on Mac OS X 10.2.6

From: Jacques C. Richard
Subject: Re: making ddd on Mac OS X 10.2.6
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:31:30 -0500

Andrew,
I was running 'make' then make install' with ddd-3.3.7
printenv showed
XAPPLRESDIR=/sw/etc/app-defaults/
which I passed to ddd's ./configure as in previous email below.
Thanks!
Jacques
BTW, what's w/the hidden address: <>?

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 03:05  AM, <> wrote:

Hi,
Fink's ddd had a recurring message from an incomplete installation so I
tried making ddd myself from the source & it seemed to be going fine
but I get the same message:
[Jacques-C-Richards-Computer:Research/SEM-PETSc/tns_q2q1]
jacquesrichard% /sw/bin/ddd_fink main
Error: No `Ddd' application defaults file
To resolve this problem, you can:
* set the XAPPLRESDIR environment variable to the location of the file
`Ddd', or
* set the DDD_HOME environment variable to the location of `ddd/Ddd', or
* install the `Ddd' file in the X application defaults directory, or
* recompile DDD with builtin app-defaults file;
   see the `--enable-builtin-app-defaults' option for details.
[Jacques-C-Richards-Computer:Research/SEM-PETSc/tns_q2q1]
jacquesrichard% /usr/local/bin/ddd main
Error: No `Ddd' application defaults file
To resolve this problem, you can:
* set the XAPPLRESDIR environment variable to the location of the file
`Ddd', or
* set the DDD_HOME environment variable to the location of `ddd/Ddd', or
* install the `Ddd' file in the X application defaults directory, or
* recompile DDD with builtin app-defaults file;
   see the `--enable-builtin-app-defaults' option for details.
[Jacques-C-Richards-Computer:Research/SEM-PETSc/tns_q2q1]
jacquesrichard%

Why is this ddd/Ddd file not ending up in the right place?

When I redid configure using:
  ./configure --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib --with-motif-includes=sw/include
--with-motif-libraries=/sw/lib
--enable-builtin-app-defaults=/sw/etc/app-defaults/
everything appeared to go OK but make runs into errors:
[Jacques-C-Richards-Computer:/usr/local/ddd-3.3.7] jacquesrichard# make
Making all in readline
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in themes
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in vsllib
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in ddd
make  all-am
source='resources.C' object='resources.o' libtool=no \
depfile='.deps/resources.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/resources.TPo' \
depmode=gcc3 /bin/sh ../depcomp \
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I./.. -isystem /sw/include -isystem
/usr/X11R6/include    -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -W -Wall -mminimal-toc
-trigraphs  -c -o resources.o `test -f 'resources.C' || echo
'./'`resources.C
In file included from resources.C:2309:
Ddd.ad.h:158: error: parse error before `*' token
In file included from resources.C:2309:
Ddd.ad.h:160:19: missing terminating " character
^Cmake[2]: *** [resources.o] Interrupt
make[1]: *** [all] Interrupt
make: *** [all-recursive] Interrupt

& I had to kill the above compilation as cc would use up virtual memory
& actually slow my Mac. Now why did this error in ddd/Ddd.ad.h come up
with the second & third configure/make? Do you have a suggestion for
getting around these?

Jacques,

Which version of DDD are you building?

Did you simply copy the ddd file around, or did you run "make install"?

If you did run "make install", and you still get this problem, then
you'll have to try exporting your XAPPLRESDIR; that should sort this
problem out.

Andrew.

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail - JUST LIKE THAT
M-Web: S.A.'s most trusted and reliable Internet Service Provider.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/