ddd

How does ddd redirect stdout?

From: Jens Ahrens
Subject: How does ddd redirect stdout?
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 17:18:19 +0200

Dear list,

I have the following problem:

I am implementing an application that forks and starts a child application with an "exec" command. I want the parent to catch the stdout and stderr messages of the child. Unfortunately, everything I do (pipes/sockets) works well only for stderr but not for stdout. Due to the buffering of stdout the messages don't arrive before the termination of the child. A manipultion of the buffer size (via setvbuf) gets overwritten by the execution of the child and I cannot access the child to flush the buffer.

I have discovered that ddd can indeed redirect stdout of the application to be debugged without any problems. I had a look at the source code but it's quite large...

So! , does anybody know how ddd accomplishes this?

Thanks and cheers,

Jens