ddd

Re: what is up with this configure file? I set the PATH to Xm/Xm.h and n

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: what is up with this configure file? I set the PATH to Xm/Xm.h and nada!
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 18:05:59 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: Re: what is up with this configure file? I set the PATH to...:

Linux toon 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5PAE #1 SMP Tue Nov 3 16:55:59 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

CentOS release 5.4 (Final)

Yes I got the lesstif to run configure and make!

Ok, thanks for supplying that information.

If you have administrative (e.g. root) access on "toon", I highly
recommend you install the packages provided by CentOS for OpenMotif.  If
you have root access, you should be able to type (as root)

        yum install openmotif openmotif-devel

Once you've done that, you don't need any of the Lesstif stuff you
downloaded and compiled AND the configure from ddd should just
automatically find Xm/Xm.h (which is in the openmotif-devel package) and
libXm.so.4 (which is in the openmotif package).

If you do NOT have administrative access on "toon" (it's a system run
by someone else) and you can't convince whoever does run "toon" to install
the openmotif and openmotif-devel packages, then you will need to use
your locally-compiled version of Lesstif.

I'll assume for now that you can get openmotif and openmotif-devel
installed.  If that's not the case and we need to use your lesstif,
respond and let us know that, and we'll proceed from there.

Tim

Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: what is up with this configure file? I set the PATH to...:

toon:/toon/kwilson/Programming/DDD/ddd-3.3.12>./configure --enable-rpath=/toon/kwilson/Motif/Xm/Xm.h
configure: error: The Motif include file 'Xm/Xm.h' could not be found.
Please use the configure options '--with-motif-includes=DIR' and '--with-motif-libraries=DIR' to specify the Xm location.
                 See the files 'config.log' and 'ddd/config.log'
                 for further diagnostics.

--enable-rpath has nothing to do with the problem you're currently having,
so don't specify it the next time you run configure.

I'll try help you, but you'll need to answer some questions.

- what operating system (OS) and version are you trying to use ddd on?
  If it's a Linux system, what distribution (e.g. Fedora, Ubuntu, Red
  Hat Enterprise Linux, etc.) and version is it?  I'm looking for an
  answer something like "Fedora Core 8" or "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8"
  or "Solaris 2.10".  If you don't know the answer, run the following
  two commands at a shell prompt on the system and include their output in
  in your response:

    uname -a
    cat /etc/*-release

- have you ever configured and successfully compiled an open source
  package that uses a "configure" script before?

If you can answer those questions, we can hopefully get to a firm
foundation that we can build upon.

Tim

--
Tim Mooney                                  address@hidden
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure       701-231-1076 (Voice)