debian-sf-devel

Re: [Debian-sf-devel] New alexandria BASELINE: should we open up a new o

From: Tim Perdue
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] New alexandria BASELINE: should we open up a new one ? Where ?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:47:27 -0600

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 02:46:51PM -0700, Tim Uckun wrote:
> I guess what I am trying to say is that I do see a market for sourceforge
> in the business world. It's a complicated thing to install and set up and I
> think that if someone could deliver a turnkey type of solution for under 5K
> It might find a market in the medium sized buisnesses (especially if you
> add some groupware functionality like calendars or email reading)

Yeah, unfortunately, VA will never make any money selling them at 5k a piece,
and they also learned that they can't make any money selling them at hundreds
of thousands a piece or millions a piece, since no one was buying.

As far as installability - the SF code was intentionally vague and difficult
to install. This was part of the old open source strategy - if you make it
messy and difficult enough, maybe someone will actually pay to have it
installed. Didn't quite work.

So a lot of stuff could be streamlined and cleaned up. Personally, I would
like to see it all completely rewritten as a java servlet, which would be
ultra-simple to install on ANY machine, even windows. But that would take a
lot of effort.

> product) seem to have limited capability to do some of the stuff SF
> does.  None of them have the depth of SF but all of them offer a calender
> module.  I would rather have a pure php solution myself so I would welcome
> the challenge of working to make SF better.

I'd suggest adding calendaring to the SF code. It was something that was
talked about for a long time - to add that functionality to the task manager.
Unfortunately, no one could ever define what it meant or what it would look
like.

Tim

--
Founder - PHPBuilder.com / Geocrawler.com / SourceForge
Perdue, Inc.