dejagnu

Re: tests failing sometimes

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Subject: Re: tests failing sometimes
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:58:48 -0400

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 08:27:32PM +0300, Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm experiencing problems with the gdb testsuite. The following test
> failed on my machine 59 times out of 1000:
>
> system "echo \"main(){}\" >a.c"
> gdb_compile a.c a executable {debug additional_flags=-w}
> gdb_start
> send_gdb "file a\n"
> gdb_test "l main" {1.main\(\){}.*} "a"
>
> The logs show that gdb executes the file command but doesn't receive the
> list command. I've run runtest under strace. It turns out to be that gdb
> does read the second command, but by the time it reads it completely, it
> receives SIGHUP. The problem seems to be similar to PR gdb/544.

It's a bug in your test.  Here's the sequence you want:
  -> "file a\n"
  <- "(gdb) "
  -> "l main\n"
  <- "1.main\(\).*}.*\(gdb\) $"

Here's what you're getting:
  -> "file a\n"
  -> "l main\n"
  [issue FAIL]
  [issue SIGHUP]
  [still in output buffer somewhere:

Don't use send_gdb like that; follow it with gdb_expect and anchor the
gdb_expect on a prompt.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz