demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Re: [cduce-users] OCaml/CDuce interface issue with 32 bits/

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: [cduce-users] OCaml/CDuce interface issue with 32 bits/64 bits architectures
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:10:11 +0200

Hello Alain,

2006/10/3, Alain Frisch <address@hidden>:
David MENTRE wrote:
> Any idea how to fix that cleanly, for example by reference to
> Pervasives.min_int and max_int?

With the current release, I see no way to do it within the language.
You can of course use a preprocessor to change the definition for
Ocaml_int, depending on the architecture.

Ok, we might use that approach...

You could also arrange so that your save value always accepts 63-bit
integers even on 32-bit architecture (and perhaps dynamically checks
that the integer are in the correct range).

Anyway, it's probably a good idea to export a Caml_int type that matches
the range of Caml integers on the current architecture. If you don't
want to wait for the next release, here is the diff:

http://www.cduce.org/c-bin/viewcvs.cgi/types/builtin.ml.diff?r1=1.57&r2=1.58

... but I much prefer this approach.

We will see what we can do for our project in the meantime.

Many thanks for the quick feedback.

Best wishes,
d.