[Denemo-devel] Some refinements for Rhythm/Pitch entry

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Some refinements for Rhythm/Pitch entry
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:16:42 +0100

Here is a small patch (additional to the last large one) that adds some
refinements. You can now choose a continuous option when entering tones
which means you do not have to manually move to the next measure - the
cursor moves on when you have played sufficient notes. Of course, the
problem is spurious notes, so a Click is provided (just the gdk_beep at
the moment) to warn you/reassure you that all is well. You turn the
click on by selecting click volume > 0.

If you do not choose Continuous but select Click volume > 0 then the
click will sound when you have added more notes in the measure than will
fit - a sure sign that a spurious tone has got in.
In both cases, in my first trials, I have found it useful to correct
errors as I go along, especially since there is no function to
GOTO_NEXT_ERROR (yet).
As for correcting as you go, one thing that needs fixing is that the
cursor doesn't advance as you enter tones. TODO!

In addition, an efficiency improvement has been made, previously at
every tone the entire set of notes was being re-written (not that I
could tell on my machine even though it is fairly old now...). Now it
just re-writes the current measure.
If we can fixup a proper structure to represent measures (see previous
email) then starting overlaying tones part way through a measure becomes
feasible.

Richard Shann