Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo Modes

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo Modes
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:14:14 -0500

> Note Entry:
> 1) The current default mode:
> You press a note name (e.g. "a"), optional octave selectors ("'" or
> ","), a duration (e.g. "2" for a quarter note), optional accidental
> shifts ("+", "-") optional dots ("."). Further notes at the same pitch
> can be entered by pressing the duration and dots.

Are you suggesting a "hard wired" key-binding for each mode? I
personally like the speedykeymaprc.xml that uses j for quarter h for
half not k for eight notes etc ...

> >From this I suggest we make Mode 2 the default mode, and turn on Mode 3
> when the "insert pitch recognition" is chosen. Mode 1 can be turned on
> by a denemo->prefs setting.

This is for default mode settings. Denemo start up settings right. If so
that sounds good to me. Otherwise there is no point in the mode menu.

> In the current program there is also something called "default" which
> seems to be a sort of read-only setting - this seems a very strange name
> - I stumbled on it by accident and thought that denemo had locked up.
> This should be developed as a normal read-only thing, with a dialog
> popping up when you try to edit.

Ha Ha. I thought it had frozen up before also. Yeah the name should
probably be changed to read-only.

> Another mode in the current program is
> blank mode - I think it is intended for entering voices that appear
> during the course of a measure but don't have rests written (the
> notation in lilypond is "s" rather than "r"). It doesn't give any
> display for the blank notes - which is logical, if not practical - and
> needs more work and documentation. Finally there is rest mode, which
> despite being described as toggle_rest_mode is in fact just an on button
> - it would help if it was a toggle and if the status bar indicated how
> to quit, though this would require an inverse mapping from functions to
> keypresses - do we have that?

I do not think there is something like an inverse mapping. That is a
great idea though.

> What can we call these modes? Well, Mode 2 could be something like
> Standard, or Default, Mode 3 could be Insert, Mode 1 could be
> Compatibility mode - Blank and Rest mode apply to any of these, with
> various effects; it would probably be better not to lump them together,
> in fact, if we can make Blank mode display the blank notes entered (e.g.
> as pale gray) then we can describe these as two sorts of rest entry,
> printing and non-printing and keep them as a separate category of thing
> which can apply to any mode. The status bar could describe both the mode
> and the normal/rest/blank status.

I love all of your ideas. I think their great. I have to leave for work
now. Perhaps more later.

Jeremiah