Re: [Denemo-devel] Printing

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Printing
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:46:15 -0600

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 08:10 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get the Print command working? I have it wired
> to evince which is a pdf viewer that comes with Debian, but evince does
> not have a "print then quit" option, so I can't just add an option to
> that. If someone knows how this should be done I'll be happy to do it.
> Richard

I know you could either use a system call to pipe it to the printer or
open up /dev/lp or /dev/lpt as a file and write to it I suppose similar
to a file copy or save as. I don't know which is more standard if there
is not a better way.

Regarding printing:
When I try to print something I get a pop up saying "could not create
pdf - etc ...."

The pdf was actually created in ~/.denemo/denemoprint.pdf. The error at
the terminal says:

Processing `/home/jjbenham/.denemo/denemoprint.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [3]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `denemoprint.midi'...
Layout output to `denemoprint.ps'...
Converting to `denemoprint.pdf'...

** (denemo:32403): WARNING **: Failed to rename denemoprint.pdf
to /home/jjbenham/.denemo/denemoprint.pdf

I thought I would give you this because you seem to be working on
printing. The problem seems to be in the rename line 110 of print.c.
The issue is denemoprint.pdf is originally created in ~/.denemo. Then it
wants to rename to be the same file in the same place. I commented out
line 109 which removed the ~/.denemo/denemoprint.pdf. Unfortunately that
was the original file. This all makes sense if denemoprint.pdf was
created in /tmp but rename does not work for osX users because rename
does not work in osX across different file-systems.  In Os X /tmp is on
its own partition IIRC. I am not sure. Maybe we should just remove the
whole rename thing. Since lilypond is directly creating denemoprint.pdf
anyway.