Re: [Denemo-devel] \transposition unfinished

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] \transposition unfinished
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:00:59 +0000

Jeremiah
> gives me errors and is one of the first things I delete when editing
> denemo's output by hand.
Are you still editing denemo's output by hand? Tush! For me, it makes a
huge difference getting the LilyPond output right first time - I get
bogged down in intermediate files, with files being out of step, etc,
etc. which is why I attempted to turn denemo into a lilypond editor some
years ago. (Too ambitious, the lilypond parser was changing to quickly
for denemo to keep up).
My current hope is that with judiciously placed lilypond inserts (saved
in the .denemo file of course) I can do everything I want with
the .denemo format, and just print the results at the end. At the
moment, this is the case, but then I use denemo for a very limited range
of uses.
If there is some editing of lilypond which you are feeling forced to do
by hand, perhaps you could write it up as a bug in Denemo, and we could
design a lilypond control scheme within denemo that would allow you to
make your edit without leaving denemo.
My reason for thinking this will always be possible is that, ultimately,
it is only really the notes that Denemo needs to handle and visualize -
they are the only bulk data involved. Anything else is just a few words
which we can slot in somewhere without much difficulty. I finished off
the template stuff with the idea that I could store useful lilypond
insert examples there. My longer term vision would be a hierarchy of
templates of useful bits of lilypond to control many aspects of the
output. If we seed it with the bits we have found useful then users (we
do need users!) may contribute more. (Can we self-document the lilypond
inserts? Use lyrics in the template to explain what it does? or add {%
comments to explain %}?)
Best wishes,