Re: [Denemo-devel] Tidying up the main structures

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Tidying up the main structures
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:08:40 -0600

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 07:39 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:

> I propose to replace the global variable "displays" with a structure
> DenemoRoot containing the list of DenemoGUI and the preferences. The
> DenemoGUI corresponds to a Denemo file on disk as at present. It all the
> GUI stuff together with stuff that applies to the whole piece of music -
> a list of DenemoScore representing movements in the piece and the
> DenemoScore si pointer to the current movement and the header data that
> applies to the whole piece. The DenemoScore corresponds to a single
> \score {} block in the output LilyPond, ie to a single movement (as at
> present, but currently Denemo is limited to one movement).

This all sounds like a good idea.
You say the header data applies to the whole piece? Don't you want it to
print different titles for each movement. Maybe I am confused.

On a similar subject I would soon like to fix some of the types used in
the frequently used data structures. DenemoObject is on of the most
frequently used. We have all these structure members defined with the
type int or gint. We have basic_durinticks, durinticks, starttick,
starttickofnextnote all defined as gint. I find it very unlikely that
and of these variables will go below 0. I suggest we change everything
that will always be >0 and does not need a decimal to be defined as
guint, guint16, or guint8. I have also seen places where gint was the
type defined for somethings that could have been gboolean. I think just
fixing a few of these will have noticeable performance and memory
improvements. I think this is something we should address fairly soon.