[Denemo-devel] accelerators

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] accelerators
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:42:51 +0000

I happened to be using gimp the other day and I noticed it had a
facility to change the accelerators of the menus dynamically. Unlike the
one I've introduced into Denemo, you have to turn this on (a bit obscure
that) and then it is (all too) easy to set, just hover over the menu and
press the key.
I set about tracking down the code for this, as it is always better to
use established methods rather than some new interface, unless there is
evidence to the contrary. I found out that in fact it is a gtk/glib
built in facility. Thanks to Torsten Reuss I got this working and I
think we should make use of it. Especially since some keypresses can't
be set in the dialog that we have at present (Return, Tab etc).

One casualty will be keyboard shortcuts (that's the mechanism invoked by
putting an underscore in the menu item name which means that when you
have the menu displayed you can press that key: these take precedence
over setting keyboard accelerators).

It would be annoying to find yourself setting accelerators accidentally,
but we don't want to make it at all obscure, since Denemo really hinges
on keyboard use. I haven't given it a great deal of thought yet, but
besides having a menu item for turning this facility off and on we could
add it to the current right-click mechanism; we will want to keep the
right click mechanism for the help display it can offer.

comments?