Re: [Denemo-devel] website

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] website
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:57:37 +0100

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 18:41 +0200, N. Gey wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Website
> ======
>
> The basic website is nearly ready. I want to tell you some of its
features.
> Certain users, the developers, will be granted with the right to add
and
> change content.
This would be changing content via an interaction with the webpage
itself, right? (That is, not ftp'ing up stuff to the site, risking
breaking links etc...)
> Content is a newspost, called "story", on the one side and simple
pages
> on the other.
> The pages are there already. The main page is the Information page
which
> shows what denemo is.
>
> Pictures can be built in anywhere, even as a standalone newspost
(simply
> called Image in the create content menu)
>
> The newsposts can be created on the right side of the page, in your
user
> menu. If you create a story it will automaticly show up on the front
page.

> I have also made a git-ticker to the page, so that people will always
> see some update, even If we don't write any real news.
This sounds really good.

> The ticker, and some other parts of the cms, require a working
cron-job
> system. Jeremiah, is it too much for the server to have cronjobs
enabled?
> I planned to create daily a cronjob wich will fetch the manual out of
> the git repository (so git would be needed on the server also) and
> create a pdf page out of it, which will be placed on the manual page.
Why a pdf? There is the denemomanual.html which could be viewed
directly. Having said that, the manual needs a lot of work - it is
generated from an xml file and I don't have any convenient way of
editing that (I've started to use emacs on it).
> So there will be an downloadable, up-to-date pdf manual on the page
> without human work.
> If you know a better way how to create a pdf manual please let me
know.

> There are still a few things to be done before showing the website to
> other people:
>
> -The page must be able to send mails
>
> -The Information page lacks content. Please write down the main
features
> and a bit about whats planned in the future. Or anything that comes
into
> your mind. But please write in "leadstyle": Important information, in
> short, first, and details at the end.
>
> -The Download and Sources page needs to be filled with binaries. Since
> know where the Linux binaries and release-tars are there is still
> Richards seperate windows page. But this is a special point that
leads
> directly to:
>
> Promotion
> =======
>
> After all I volunteered to bring denemo to a bigger public audience.
For
> this there are some points which are confusing and need to be solved:
>
> -Richard has a seperated page for windows builds of denemo, complete
> with a changelog. I think this is not needed anymore. Why not adding
the
> windows binaries to the savannah download page
I am not sure that the guys at savannah would approve, putting a binary
for use with proprietary software is, at least to some extent, promoting
non-free software, which they feel quite passionate about. But we could
ask them - I did have a look to see if there were any other examples,
but I didn't see any (well, in fact, I didn't find any binaries on
savannah).
>  and using denemo.org
> (news and download page) for further announcing. So there will be
only
> one page (denemo.org) for binary.
Yes we can put it on denemo.org.

> -The sourceforge page should be deleted. I know this is a difficult
task
> since Adam is not saying anything anymore. I want to contact
sourceforge
> again, if you allow me to do it.
That would be good - you have seen the previous communications with
them?

> -The Savannah Homepage (html version) needs to be cut down to a
simple
> announcement, fulfilling the savannha-requested information.
However,
> it should lead the user directly to denemo.org after that.
Well, it will still have the git, mailing lists (...?)
And, the cvs link page should re-direct, so that people finding the
sourceforge site have a better chance of getting where they want to go.

> -The denemo user mailing lists is practically not used. I recommend
> delete it and getting all users to use the dev list, concentrating
> support and discussion.
yes, until the volume goes up it would be clearer - I think there may be
links on the sourceforge site again, though.
> If its not possible to dev-talk anymore
> (unlikely) then we can think about a user list again, or even a forum
on
> the new page, since users seem to prefer bulletinbords while devs
seem
> to like mailing lists better.
>
> -I will search through the web and contact webmasters to change their
> links and/or write some article about denemo.  This includes
wikipedia.

> Finally I ask you to allow me to completly organize and execute a
> promotion and announcement campaign (in the web). For that I have to
> know what the main goal of denemo is:
>
> On the old page there was written that denemo aims not to be complete
> and leaves textwork on the lilypond sourcefile to the user. Reading
the
> mailing list I think this not up-to-date anymore.
Correct.
>  It seems that the devs
> believe it would be nice if denemo could create a complete lilypond
file
> and using 100% of the lilypond possibilities without seeing the ly
> file/.
Well, you "see" (write) little bits of the LilyPond file in the LilyPond
inserts (etc), and while you can do many things using canned
examples/templates, it is unimaginable that every LilyPond construct
could be collected and canned for denemo users. I anticipate a growing
library of stuff (the gallery, or templates), with increasing
sophistication for how the examples self-document and how they present
themselves in the Denemo window.
>  I think this is not too much to say, even if this task is not
> complete yet.
I think the simple message is that Denemo enables you to edit visually
the music in complex LilyPond files.

> Second I read about playback inside Denemo, highlighting the Notes
which
it's in the manual, isn't it (I'm sure I wrote it up briefly).
> are played currently. ("/Denemo will be able to play notation files
> karoke style with scrolling playback")/ What about that? I never saw
> that, I only could use Denemo to generate midi files.
If you press Play the music should scroll (one measure at a time) as it
plays - on my machine the measure being played is always the one on the
far left. I use Ctrl-Left to get it more in the center of the screen.
There is a mechanism to avoid it scrolling (by defining Playback
Properties->start, end as I recall), which I left there for backward
compatibility. Otherwise it should scroll, playing the current measure,
the (multi-measure) selection or the whole piece depending on the
selection state.

> Third: Should I search for help to implement a ALSA and JACK (and
LASH)
> client to denemo?
That would be good. We also need someone to work on the denemo.ttf font,
which Pango seems to think is taller than it is. (And much more of
course).
Thank you for your help
Richard