Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo file format specifications / converter

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo file format specifications / converter
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:45:05 +0100

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 22:33 +0200, N. Gey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A friend of mine wants to write an converter from Noteworthy Composer to
> Denemo.
> Is there a complete documentation how the Denemo format works?
I have not seen any documentation, and it must be incomplete if it
exists because I have added quite a few (denemo-specific) fields to it.
A converter to denemo format would be the best route since your friend
presumably already has a parser for noteworthy and so all that would be
needed would be to output xml with the fields denemo expects, which is
generally fairly easy.
The easiest way to work back to a spec of the format would be to look at
a file made from a (trivial) piece of music with the noteworthy features
you are hoping to preserve in the convertor. (There will usually be
things stored in the file which are not relevant to an external program
- for instance denemo stores information about how much extra space to
allow for the denemo display).
There are two small snags, one (trivial) is that .denemo is actually
a .gz file so needs re-naming to uncompress using gunzip (other
utilities are smarter), and the second is that there are no newlines in
it, which makes it difficult to read.

I look forward to seeing this - we need a MusicXML convertor too, so any
work deriving the spec will be of use there,