[Denemo-devel] First-time user (Windows build)

From: David Bolton
Subject: [Denemo-devel] First-time user (Windows build)
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:38:53 -0500

I just downloaded Denemo. The interface is pretty straight forward and it will be very useful the next time I want to create a Lilypond file. However, I have some suggestions so I listed them below.

Web site:

* Link to bug tracker is blocked by Firefox 3 ("savannah.gnu.org uses an invalid security certificate") The regular http version (rather than the "secure" https version) loads fine. Maybe it would be a good idea to link to the regular http version for now.

Program

* Before each launch the following alert pops up: "some icons will not display properly, but program will run ok." Although the message is well intentioned I'm not sure it is necessary since all icons displayed properly (albeit non-native). After multiple launches the pop up also becomes tedious.

* When closing an unsaved document Denemo pops up with a Yes/No dialog. Meaningful buttons (ie. "Don't save", "Save", and "Cancel") are preferable over Yes/No dialogs especially for dialogs with significant consequences. (A user that isn't reading the dialog carefully might click "Yes" thinking that means "Save" when in fact the opposite is true.)

* The default path locations in the preference dialog do not use system defaults. For example the path for "Pdf Viewer" links to a 4.0 version of Adobe Acrobat (latest version is 8.0), and the "Default Save Path" links to a user called "rich".

* I have tried opening some Lilypond files with Denemo but it "wasn't able to cope". It would be nice if it could try its best to load a file even if it didn't understand everything.

--
David Bolton
http://davidbolton.info