Re: [Denemo-devel] First-time user (Windows build)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] First-time user (Windows build)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 08:30:42 +0100

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 15:00 -0500, David Bolton wrote:
> Richard Shann wrote:
> >
> >> * Before each launch the following alert pops up: "some icons will not
> >> display properly, but program will run ok." Although the message is well
> >> intentioned I'm not sure it is necessary since all icons displayed
> >> properly (albeit non-native).
> >>
> > Can you check this - the one's that fail (for me) are the ones in the
> > view->articulation pallette
> > Perhaps I should move this message to the pop-up of that palette (I'm
> > not absolutely sure where else they might be used).
> >

> You are correct Richard. I hadn't looked at the articulations palette
> until now.
Thinking about it, the fix for this is in fact purely a windows
installation issue, next time I'm on windows I'll have a look for the
svg loader and see if I can install it.

> >> * The default path locations in the preference dialog do not use system
> >> defaults. For example the path for "Pdf Viewer" links to a 4.0 version
> >> of Adobe Acrobat (latest version is 8.0), and the "Default Save Path"
> >> links to a user called "rich".
> >>
> > Hmm, that's me. I don't know how to find the user's file association
> > for .pdf I would be glad if someone could tell me...
> > I'll look into the other one.
> >

> Browsing through the GTK documentation I came across GAppInfo
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/stable/GAppInfo.html
>
> The function g_app_info_get_default_for_type () looks promising but I've
> never worked with GTK so I don't really know how to use it.
That's very interesting - I just came across this documentation myself,
thinking about how to access a gallery of menus for Denemo - potentially
online. I didn't get a chance to read it yet, still less try it; still
trying to get the release out.
I did read your article on user interface to music notation programs on
your website - very interesting. I have been thinking a lot about the
problem of modes in Denemo, and have a scheme in mind to make the modes
user-definable. Depending on your personal temperament you would choose
anything from a completely modeless program to one where you had modes
for as many types of input as you needed (e.g. piano fingerings
different from guitar fingerings, lyrics ...). The custom menus thread
in this mailing list has some of my musings on this subject.