Re: [Denemo-devel] Initial Clef - Transposing: How do I ... / Why does D

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Initial Clef - Transposing: How do I ... / Why does Denemo...
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:04:12 +0100

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 02:00 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> today I wrote a piece for mens choir. 2 tenors, 2 basses. After finishing the
> two Tenors I noticed that I used the normal treble/violin clef instead of the
> octava bassa, which is used for tenor-voices normally. So everything looked
> fine, except the little "8" in the clef was missing, and it sounded one
> octave to high in the sound output of Denemo.
>
> "No problem" I thought and changed the initial clef to octava bassa. But
> Denemo now shifts all notes up one octave so it sounds the same as before,
> which is the opposite of what I wanted and expected.
>
> Why does Denemo transpose this automatically? Me, the composer, is
> responsible in which clef I put noteheads on the lines. If I want to change
> from treble to bass clef but want the noteheads to stay on the same lines its
> not possible atm, I think.
>
> So how do I do that? Changing clef and keep/restore the orginal positions of
> the noteheads?
> Is there a way to tranpose a complete staff/voice? Actually not transposing
> but shifting. Or my feature-wish to shift a selection up and down. Or change
> the behaviour that the clef is not related to the position of the noteheads
> at all to the moment where you want to hear a sound. So if I change the clef
> the notes stay on their position but have a different meaning. (This is what
> I would prefer).
>
> I know its feature freeze but I wanted to write this down.

I have just been testing the change Jeremiah put in the staff properties
dialog, and I noticed it gives a way of transposing a part up an octave.
You need to edit the staff->properties dialog
and set the transposition to 12 (semitones) then save as .mid file and
reload, it comes back transposed up an octave.
A workaround for something Denemo should do quite naturally.