Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: Updated RPM spec file

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: Updated RPM spec file
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:34:52 -0500

On Sun, 2008-07-27 at 14:29 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 17:21 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> If it is a matter of having a system to do the build then I think that
> would be too much effort.

I am reading up on this multi-build service from Novell or opensuse. It
would be nice if its free. Nils sent me the link and suggestion. Its at
this website:

http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service#Features

> You are the only one improving the midi which
> is far more important. There seems to be a need out there for getting
> music into Denemo via midi; I don't have much idea how much information
> is present in (some? all?) midi files to make this useful.

I will focus on the midi import filters. Two months is probably a good
time to get multi-voiced staffs working. Midi files contain alot of
information like velocity information for each note, lyrics, track
names, track midi instrument, title, composer and probably more that I
am not thinking about. There is really much that needs to be done on
importMidi. Things that yet need to be done are Tupplet support,
multi-voice, lyrics, and quantization. Quantization is very important
because many of the midi files pulled off the net are not entered into
the computer precisely via a nice program like denemo. Many times they
are a recorded midi data of a performance.

> There is the
> possibility of ly2midi followed by our lily load routine, but I don't
> know how good ly2midi is.

Before denemo had decent support for exporting midi, midi files for
playback was generated via lilypond. I am not sure how good it is. I
never pushed it very hard. I was thinking that it could potentially be
used to import lilypond files by first converting them with a utility
like ly2midi. The thing that made this attractive was that the lilypond
team would be responsible for parsing the lily files and not us.

> If we were to work towards the 0.7.10 release to be in, say, two months
> what would you hope to contribute towards it?

I will make a stab at multi-voiced midi import. If I get done with that
early I will continue to work on importMidi. I should probably focus on
that instead of jumping around all over the place. I think I have been
spreading myself thin lately.

> In this sort of timescale, I would hope to have the basics of the
> customizable command sets ready. (For example, you would be able to
> merge in the Guitar command set which would add a new menu which would
> contain menu items for attaching each possible guitar fingering to a
> note, shortcutted to the 1 - 5 keys).

What scripting languages do you know Richard? What about everyone else
on this list? I was reading on the guile website about how easy it is to
add guile support to applications. At first users when do something like
File->load script and it would load a scheme file. I then thought it may
be better to add swig support (I don't know how hard that would be)
users could then load files written in python or many other languages.
The long term benefit would be that we can add lots of functionality to
denemo without increasing the size of the binary so much. If python was
supported via swig we could easily quickly and easily integrate
functionality of programs such as AthenaCL or MMA.

AthenaCL:
http://www.flexatone.net/athena.html

MMA:
http://www.mellowood.ca/mma/

I suppose the above should go into the wishlist.

Jeremiah