Re: [Denemo-devel] Scripting in Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Scripting in Denemo
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:30:54 +0100

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 10:51 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > As the other email, there are no C++ classes in Denemo, nothing
> like,
> > you would need to start with quite a clean sheet :-(
>
> We don't need c++ classes. From what I read it is used to create
> wrappers for current c or c++ functions, structures, or classes.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The key phrase above is "nothing
like", there is nothing like an object based api in the core of Denemo.
the low-level functions were written rather specifically with lots of
quirks and shortcuts, and no-one really knows what they do.
I think the other relevant thing to say here is that a scripting
interface would provide far more than the modest piece of work that I am
proposing.
If denemo provided a library for manipulating, printing, displaying and
playing musical objects the opportunities would be immense for a very
wide range of music-based activities. I am only urging that no-one
undertakes such a project thinking it is just a matter of writing an
interface to some functions in Denemo. Of course, I am notoriously
pessimistic!