Re: Possible TODO tasks for next release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Restru

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: Possible TODO tasks for next release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Restructuring of the ObjectMenu/Notes)
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 11:25:26 -0500

On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 22:29 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 22:20 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > it does
> > install, however the files are not readable except by root
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 2017 2008-09-27 22:15 ReadingNoteNames
> > So I guess they will not be loadable by the user running the
> > application...
> >
> I've checked in the option  to get more menu items
> from /usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus/... by right clicking on a
> menu item. It does not work with the present permissions, as expected.

I thought users were only allowed write permission to their home
directory by default. I am thinking that most distos are not going to
like this idea. I think even Debian creates a game group for people to
have write permission to /usr/share/games/ (I believe).  This does not
resonate with me. I believe gimp copies all plugins scripts and stuff
into the users home directory upon first launch of a new release. We can
set a time stamp that checks weather actions were modified asking "A
menu item has been modified by you. Would you like to update your local
menu library?". The popup can be debian like and asking "I noticed a
Menu item has been modified by you. Would you like to 1). Keep your
version or 2). Use the updated to canonical version. This is just an
idea. We could just simple have the ~/.denemo/actions
override /usr/share/denemo/actions and not have any pop-up or anything.