Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:43:33 -0500

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 16:50 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 09:33 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > ok. I first I want to thank Nils for suggesting I look at jack midi
> > input. After looking at a few examples I quickly had denemo accepting
> > midi input via jack.
> Great! Did you already manage to wire this in to the function
> pitchentry() in the file pitchentry.c? One of the things this will get
> you is the enharmonic control (whether Eb or D# is meant when the midi
> pitch comes in).

No, I have held off on that. When I wrote something similar to this in
the past I did it in a very low level way. This is not the approach I
want and was unsure of what functions I should be using. At the moment
it just prints the int midi note number(60 = mid c, 61 = c#/Db, 62 = e
etc...) to the terminal. pitchentry()? are you sure. I read through that
function and was wondering if that is really what you mean. I am not
sure how to interface it with this function. I can convert the midi note
numbers to hz. Could I just use enter_note_in_score?

> > My question is where should I put this into the menu.
> I think both Audio input and Midi input should be in a new menu Input on
> the MainMenu. (The button marked Microphone activates the audio input at
> present, it should move to the new menu). Does the midi input have
> settings? That is, could it usefully pop up a control panel as the audio
> input does?

I created an Input menu in the MainMenu. I don't know if this is what
you had in mind. I have not moved the audio input to this menu yet. The
midi input does not currently have settings. Once we do is it better to
always have a popup or should we have a control preference thing similar
to how we have a playback preferences. We could have an input
preferences perhaps. I suppose having a pop-up preferences settings will
allow us to turn off JackMidi.

> >  Should it be
> > mode?
> It can be useful (I originally had the audio input switch keymaps) but
> if we want it we will do it in a script. All we need right now is the
> basic functionality of starting up input from midi (it means a new entry
> in generate_code.c).

I placed an entry in generate_code.c. I noticed it added entries in
scheme.h and scheme_cb.h.

> >  Should a popup come up for configuration.
> Can you detect Jack at startup?

If Jack is running already it uses the settings of that instance of
jack. If jack is not running it will launch it with default settings.

>  If so you could mark the midi input
> command as hidden if it's not there. In any case, the user can put
> (d-StartMidi) in their startup scheme script (ok, we don't yet have
> one!) if they always use it.

I think after editing generate_source it created entries in scheme.h and
scheme_cb. It is called d-JackMidi.