Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] jack midi input
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 09:51:56 -0500

On Sat, 2008-11-01 at 09:36 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 23:43 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > midi
> > accepting
> > > Great! Did you already manage to wire this in to the function
> > > pitchentry() in the file pitchentry.c? One of the things this will
> > get
> > > you is the enharmonic control (whether Eb or D# is meant when the
> > midi
> > > pitch comes in).
> >
> > No, I have held off on that. When I wrote something similar to this in
> > the past I did it in a very low level way. This is not the approach I
> > want and was unsure of what functions I should be using. At the moment
> > it just prints the int midi note number(60 = mid c, 61 = c#/Db, 62 = e
> > etc...) to the terminal. pitchentry()? are you sure. I read through
> > that
> > function and was wondering if that is really what you mean. I am not
> > sure how to interface it with this function.
> What you will need is to put
>
> if(jack)
>       get_midi_note();
> else
>       get_note();
>
> in place of the get_note(), which is getting a note from audio. It
> returns the note as a double Hz value.

I may be still confused. I am not even sure how to communicate how I am
confused. Would I have the function call pitchentry every time a midi
note on is received? I am not sure how it would go the other way around.

> The boolean jack could be passed in. Looking at this code, I see it
> needs re-writing since we have moved to Denemo.gui as global rather than
> allowing separate top level windows with their own menus & callbacks.
> Ideally we will factorize this code starting from
> start_pitch_recognition() which starts up a timer to collect pitches. If
> you would like, you could check in (d-JackMidi) and I can modify
> pitchentry.c to call it & put in the menu item to start it up.

I checked in the code. I believe you will have to run ./generate_source
again though. I see that it creates a (d-JackMidi) in scheme.

> >  I can convert the midi note
> > numbers to hz.
> so this would be get_midi_note() as above
> > Could I just use enter_note_in_score?
> You could, but would then miss things that are common to midi entry and
> audio entry. There are things in audio entry that are irrelevant to midi
> entry, but that is what factorization is all about.

I pushed my code changes. It is actually very small and very simple.
Read through it. It may be easier for you to wire it into pitchentry
than to get me up to speed. I don't know.