Re: [Denemo-devel] cat /dev/midi has stopped working!

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] cat /dev/midi has stopped working!
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:54:39 -0600

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 21:26 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> Help! Without warning
> cat /dev/midi
> has stopped responding to my midi keyboard. I first noticed this as I
> was working on Denemo, getting it to read in the raw midi, and it
> stopped getting data.
> The midi-keyboard is lighting up from the usb bus, but there is
> no /dev/midi.
>
> I have re-booted, but I cannot find any process with "alsa" in its name
> in the process table (even though, on shutting down I noticed there was
> a "stopping Alsa" notice, so it is supposed to be running, and I notice
> the hotplug system starting up on booting).

stopping alsa? If alsa is set up correctly and your system provides it
alsa can be restarted from then init scripts.

> How do I debug this situation?

I would first unplug it. reboot. Once it is fully booted up do this in a
termianal:

dmesg | tail -f

then plug it in. see what it says. You might want to also try:

dmesg | grep hotplug

to make sure it truly started. I remember a few times I thought hotplug
was running but it wasn't.

Whats in your /dev/snd/ if you see midi devices in there more than
likely one of them is your keyboard.

What does lsmod tell you. Hotplug if working correctly should be giving
that device. You may want to google it if you think hotplug is not doing
its job. I believe there is some sort of usb-midi I am not sure what it
is called.

I hope that helps.

Jeremiah