Re: [Denemo-devel] More timidity diagnostics

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] More timidity diagnostics
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:49:03 +0100

Don't use timidity. I ever get problems with it and when it runs I get latency
problems, even on my ~3ms latency system.
I would suggest you use Fluidsynth instead or better to speak of QSynth which
is a GUI for fluidsynth. You can load any .sf2 soundfont file with it, freely
avaible in the internet. I have the .sf2 file here which sounds like the
standard MS-Windows soundfont. This is not good in realistic-sounding quality
but I find it handy to have the "Windows-Midi" sound by hand if I work in
midi-enviroments with musicians who have windows. So if I send playbacks to
them I know what to expect.

Anyway... you have more feedback and controlls with QSynth. I suggest to use
the JACK-GUI Qjackctl with it. Not for JACK but for alsa midi. just don't start
the jack server, the alsa-midi ports will show up in the alsa-tab. You can
connect them how you like and connect to Denemo to QSynth/Fluidsynth or even
with Timidity if it shows up.

Nils