Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:35:29 -0600

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 16:22 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:

> this seems to have no effect on all the above dignostics.
> You mentioned that midi.c was broken - do you recall in what way it was
> broken? Was it working at one time?

I disabled it a while back because it was cause segfaults and have not
had time to fix it.
It was working yes. I think I may have been wrong about timidity reading
from /dev/sequecer though. I thought there was a way to do this in
software. From what I have read /dev/sequencer is just for soundcards
that have a built-in hardware synth. My sound blaster live has one of
these. I have to load a sound font into it with asfxload (I believe) and
make sure the correct modules are loaded.

> Should /dev/sequencer take the raw midi data that my music-keyboard is
> putting out?

You can send rawmidi data somewhere else. Send it to a synth or you can
load the snd_virmidi module. The snd_virmidi module gives you several
virtual midi ports that you can use to patch into other stuff. You can
send midi data to port x and the patch that into a synth if you like.
This is needed if you are mixing oss and alsa stuff. The snd_virmidi
created device files in /dev/snd/ the format is this midiC1D0 stands for
midi card 1 device 0; You can use this to patch into qsynth if you write
your raw midi to /dev/snd/midiC1D0 then connect it to qsynth or
timidity. aconnect -i gives me

 client 20: 'Virtual Raw MIDI 1-0' [type=kernel]

acconect -o tells meclient 128: 'TiMidity' [type=user]
    0 'TiMidity port 0 '

I can then aconnect 20:0 128:0 and hear sound.

> Is there a way to test it (iv I cat a midi file at it I get
> cat junk.mid > /dev/sequencer2

I don't think that would work.

Jeremiah