Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 20:26:46 +0000

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 13:48 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > I press the a key, and (strangely) the same but with velocity 0 each
> > time I release a key. (The MIDI standard says it should be NOTE_OFF
> > (0x80) with the velocity of the release).
> > Where to go with all this?
>
> I read that sending a NOTE_ON signal with velocity 0 is very common.
> We
> should have a switch for to treat it as if it was NOTE_ON. I noticed
> that the other day when I actually had a chance to test it on a my
> midi
> controller. Denemo entered each note twice because my controller was
> also giving a NOTE_ON with velocity 0.
I am also getting a single 0xFE byte (something to do with overlapping
notes?), I can't find a nice simple table giving what to expect. The
input method I have used needs to know how many bytes are coming. Do you
know of an easy-to-read guide, or indeed are there some parsing
functions in importmidi.c for the relevant bits - I'm guessing that the
same MIDI messages are embedded in the midi file format?