[Denemo-devel] Musical ways of entering music.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Musical ways of entering music.
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 20:02:41 +0000

One of the things that I have been discovering with Denemo is the
usefulness of having musical ways of entering music into a score.

Until now, the worst bit, for me, has been entering the figures in
continuo parts. So mechanical. Such a brain-ache.
With the possibility of Midi-keyboard shortcuts comes the chance to
enter them by playing the bass note & while holding down this note
playing the notes indicated by the figures. Not only can you hear the
harmonies, but you get to practice relating the figures to the notes
(assuming you are transcribing from something already figured).

Of course, there's not a lot of demand for that sort of thing nowadays,
but it brings into sharp relief the crucial role of design in the
creating of a midi shortcut system.

One thing I am thinking about is that it is quite easy to allow a script
to ask for a midi event, process it as it sees fit and then continue
asking until it receives some special event. Should we be packaging the
midi events up before working with them - turning them into semantic
units? If so, how can we do this without seriously impairing the
customizability?