Re: [Denemo-devel] Logo Experiments

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Logo Experiments
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:34:29 -0600

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 18:26 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 20:16 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> > After I looked to that logo experiment a bit longer and showed it some
> > friends of mine I think its nicer than the current placeholder.
> > Any opinions on that?
> I have tried google translate on denemo, but it wants the japanese
> characters & I don't know how to type them. What I was wanting to check
> is that Denemo does not have an offensive meaning in Japanese...
> It might in any case be confusing,

Here is a copy of the email I sent about the meaning of denemo:

Denemo is a corruption of the French word dénouement.

>From Wikipedia:

In literature, a dénouement (IPA:/deˈnuːmɑ̃/) consists of a series of
events that follow the climax of a drama or narrative, and thus serves
as the conclusion of the story.

I read once something from Matt Hiller once saying that many commercial
notation editors have a word that means something that comes at then end
like encore, finale etc ...  So he named it after the word dénouement.

So I guess the proper way to pronounce it would be:
day new mah

the mah would have a french ending like croissant. But it in the spirit
of linus torvald, "I don't care what you call just as long as you use
it."

I think it might be nice if the logo was somehow lilypond or french influenced.