Re: [Denemo-devel] Current state and plans

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Current state and plans
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:33:10 -0600

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 17:25 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I lost a bit where Denemo stands now and what is work in progress.

When I find time I am working on the transposition script.

> Currently I see most work done on midi-import where two ways are implemented:
> One JACK-midi and one direct access. Maybe you can inform me (and others) why
> this dual system benefits the users?

The benefit of having two is mostly for users who do not have jack-midi.
Debian stable has a very old version of jack. If denemo requires a
dependency that debian does not provide it won't get packaged. If it
does not get packaged for debian that decreases the chances of the
debian based distros packaging it. Also at the moment if you launch jack
to get midi input you can't hear any other sounds from playback because
jack it using your card. I know users can work around that using jack
but that sounds like a pain.

> Then all the time there are new scripts and functions which is really great.
> Will these scripts be bundeld with new releases? If Denemo gets more users
> and user scripts can we integrate a system to easily download new scripts
> from the web in the (far away) future? Note: When the time comes where users
> actually want to submit scripts we (I) should be ready to give them a central
> place to store them and also we should review what scripts will show up so
> that we can include the better ones right into the Denemo releases. There a
> plentyful linux applications where the real deal is made with scripts (for
> example IRC clients and where it is a pain to get the real good ones,
> integrate them to your software and know any time which scripts work with the
> current version)

Have you ever used blue? Blue is a csound front end. I really like how
you can download other peoples instrument definitions off a server. This
is done through the Blue application itself. It contains the tile and a
description of the instrument defined and maybe some other stuff. Its
been a while.