Re: [Denemo-devel] Menu system tidy up.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Menu system tidy up.
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 09:14:41 +0000

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 22:26 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> Even though I got used to the old menus I think its much cleaner now. The
> from big to small is a good concept.
>
> I am still confused by "Other commands" and "My Commands".
Other commands???
there is More Commands: it is commands that have been shipped with the
release but are not in the menu system, or have been deleted from it by
the user (only scripted commands at the moment :-().
My Commands is commands that you have created - e.g. by editing one
already there. One of the improvements I decided on overnight (sleeping
on yesterday's work) is to use the "My ..." consistently for this sort
of thing. The terminology "Custom ..." - although I prefer it (it is
less "twee", less modern, less Microsoft/Apple) - is less understood.
(Likewise, Toggle is not so well understood as (On/Off), hence those
changes).
Along with these, in the 0.8.4 release I plan to have More Commands
optionally search denemo.org for newly released scripts.

>  Is it documented somewhere?
Right click on it. The first item says Help on xxx, where xxx is the
command name. (One of the improvements I recently did).
>  And why not integrate anything thats there into Denemo.
A lot of things will be, in this release: it is a matter of creating
Default.cmdset to bring them in, which I still plan to do. And hiding
some of them (e.g. some of the ornaments) will be good once it is easier
to fetch them back - More Commands only works with scripts, not
built-ins at present.
> Even if its a "You will never need this"-menu
I am looking to the future here: there are a few thousand basic pieces
of LilyPond syntax plus all the compound things you could make with
them. That quantity of stuff is not suitable to put in a menu.
Even with the hierarchical system we will need to develop some
indexing/searching tools to find commands eventually.
> if would still be there without changing the menus first
You are thinking of "changing the menus" as a big deal, and indeed it is
a bit clunky at the moment, but in principle doing
"right-click, More Commands for this menu, select a command, Open, then
click on the new command"
could all be streamlined so that you right clicked on the menu itself
and it popped up a list of commands (local, system, internet, hidden)
which you could include in your regular left-click set.

In particular, at the moment,  when you have loaded a new menu item, you
are told about it with an information dialog, rather than having the
menu presented to you with the new item selected, ready for use.

But, patience, I think we have the making of something rather good here,
solving problems that have not been solved in other programs which share
features with this one.

Richard