[Denemo-devel] Printing excerpts

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Printing excerpts
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:43:00 +0000

When printing just the first few measures (e.g. for a thumbnail view of
the music - an index) a problem arises if certain LilyPond blocks have
been opened but not closed in the excerpt. E.g.

 \repeat volta 2 {

may have been placed at the start, but the corresponding } comes outside
the excerpt. Likewise a \transpose c c' which transposes up an octave
might not be closed within the selected excerpt.
I have fixed this problem by closing open braces when printing. No
solution is offered for excerpts taken from the middle of the music that
might include a excess closing brace - this will still throw a LilyPond
error.

We are now in a position to include in the file selector for Open an
image of the first few measures of the .denemo file selected; it would
be possible to do .midi thumbnails as well, more useful for those that
cannot easily hear a piece of music by looking at it, but I am not sure
that is very practical as it would take a few seconds to listen to each
thumbnail in a collection of pieces to find the one you wanted. (I think
this deserves this week's prize for novelty, though:-).