Re: [Denemo-devel] Logos once again

From: Till Hartmann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Logos once again
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:26:14 +0100

Nils Gey schrieb:
> Hi list,
>
> I still believe Denemo needs to be a bit more beautiful before it gets 1.0
> and finally kicks Finale and Sibelius out of the door. On step is still a
> nice logo.
> I compiled a few new ones and a few old ones together and attached them to
> this mail.
>
> Of course all these logos still can be "pimped" with nice web2.0 effects and
> colors, but all these are avaible in b/w.
>
> Number 5 is a sketch from Thorsten Wilms. Rest is my work.
> I still prefer number 4.
>
> I once again tried several music-symbols including note-lines, all keys that
> I know (which are all there are, I think), several old-, new- and exotic
> avantgard-symbols and I have to say all failed in my eyes. Its just gets
> totally cliche.
>
> I think it could be nice to have a real picture/icon for Denemo but other
> technical apps have the same problem and just use animal-pictures and names.
> While saying this, a lot of linux apps actually use animals... tux, gnu,
> firefox... probably a nightingale, but then it would lose the print-character
> Denemo certainly has. Its not an app to create Sounds, its to create Notes.
> And no animal creates notation. Next thing would be simple, abstract,
> geometric symbols which are all "taken" already and are not that good to
> remember and creative. The geometric forms niveau-level#2 are mostly taken by
> religions, ideologies and other stuff that is around for a few hundred to
> thousend years and I think we do not want to use a Cross, Moon or Hakenkreuz
> for Denemo.
>
> Several steps after these thoughts I just took the Letters itself.
>
> Probably you get some ideas or impressions or actually like one of these
> already.
>
> Nils

As a ... hm, call me what you want ... I'd like to once again remind you
of the difference between logo and icon. The logo is what will most
likely be seen in some kind of web-banner or inside the program itself,
whereas the icon will be the representation of the app on the desktop.
So: Images 1 to 4 are pure logos, 5 includes logo and icons, 6 does, too
carry logo and icon character.
I personally (sorry Nils :D) dislike no 4 most, as it is too hard edged,
too spiky, too hard to read - and too bulky, after all.
If I find my denemo-icon-sketches I'll let you know.

Till